Lovastatin side effects and alternative solutions
Are Lovastatin Side effects common to people who take Lovastatin? Is this drug right for you?
Lovastatin is being marketed with various trade names like Mevacor,
Altocor, and Altoprev etc.
The usual varieties are the extended release
tablets which release Lovastatin in a gradual and slow manner in to
the blood, after ingestion.
It is one of the commonest drugs of the
statin group prescribed by your physician to control your high blood
levels of bad (LDL) cholesterol.
Considering the alarming frequency with which
Lovastatin is being prescribed to almost ever other person, just in
order to prevent atheromatous plaque formation
(1) in your blood vessels, it becomes all the more necessary to be aware of its side effects.
So read on to find the real lowdown on Lovastatin side effects
and then you can be your own judge in determining if this drug is
right for you or not, and also if you would like to continue with it on
a long term basis.
Common Lovastatin side effects:
- The most commonest effect is seen to be upon the Gastro intestinal system
- Nausea comes on after eating food, and this particular side effect
is more when you take 40 mg of the drug as a single does in the
- Bloating of the abdomen with flatulence
- Trouble or sluggishness in digestion of the food consumed, which may again aggravate the feeling of bloating of the abdomen.
- Disorders of motion like constipation on one hand or even development of diarrhea on the other hand.
To find out more about a safe and natural alternative to lower cholesterol click here.
- Headaches which are quite troublesome and this is an usual
accompaniment when you are taking almost 80 mg of lovastatin in a day,
in 2 divided doses
- Relentless itching of the body with discernible rashes over the complete body
- Burning, itching and irritation in the eyes.
Severe side effects of Lovastatin that need immediate medical attention:
- It goes without saying that the grave side effects are always on
the Liver, and warrants immediate stopping of any further use of the
- Liver damage can be diagnosed by the usual symptoms which
accompany Hepatitis like yellowish discoloration of the mucous
membranes, skin, nails and eyes, itching, pain in the abdomen and
nausea with intolerance of any food.
- Muscle damage is next amongst the dangerous side effects which is
diagnosed by the development of severe pain and tenderness of muscles,
with cramps and associated high fever.
- Neurological symptoms like attacks of dizziness and repeated headache.
The studies (2) clearly show the following additional
facts about the relation of dosage of the drug being consumed and the
incidence of symptoms as listed below:
- More the dosage of the Lovastatin being consumed, more is the incidence and severity of its side effects
- Some lovastatin side effects are more with 40 mg taken once in the
afternoon like nausea and most of the other effects were much more
marked with the use of Lovastatin 40 mg twice daily.
Now you can decide what you need to do with your health. In case you
decide to give your self a break from the dangerous side effects of
the stains, you can opt for alternative approaches for your cholesterol
Return to Dangers Of Cholesterol Lowering Drugs
Return to All About Lowering Cholesterol Home page