Zetia muscle pain side effects
Zetia Muscle pain is one among of its side effects. Zetia (ezetimibe) is
a drug used in the treatment of high-cholesterol. As well as many
other side effects, one of the common reported side effects of zetia is
muscle pain. Symptoms reported are Myalgia and myopathy.
Zetia Muscle Pain – Myalgia, Myopathy & Rhabdomyolosis
- Myalgia is the medical name given to muscular pain of any kind.
- Myopathy is muscle damage or muscle wasting that is sometimes irreversible.
- Rhabdomyolosis is a term used in the clinical
trials of Zetia, to describe the rapid cellular destruction caused in
muscle tissue which can occur as a result of taking Zetia.
Among trials of patients taking Zetia a common symptom reported in around 25% of patients is muscle pain or muscle damage.
Is There Evidence of Zetia Causing Muscle Pain?
Yes! In fact multiple trials have concluded that when
taking Zetia, muscle pain as well as muscle damage can present, and is a
Some medical professionals believed that muscle pain only occurred when
taking Zetia with statins (another cholesterol-lowering drug).
clinical trials have shown otherwise.
Zetia Muscle Pain in Clinical Trials of Zetia
Below is some of the evidence found from clinical research trials about Zetia and muscle pain:
- In one trial of a patient taking Zetia, muscle pain occurred as
well as an increase in liver enzymes (which indicates liver problems).
Even after the washout period when the patient was no longer taking the
drug, muscle pain continued. (1)
- In a separate patient, a man already taking a statin was also given
Zetia and muscle pain began 16 days later. Twelve days after stopping
Zetia, the muscle pain was decreased. (2)
- Another randomised control trial used groups of patients taking
either a statin; Zetia alone, or a combined Zetia with statin. In the
group taking Zetia, the symptom was highest. In almost a quarter taking
Zetia, muscle pain was reported. The combined group was second highs,
and the statin alone had only 12% reporting muscle related symptoms. (3)
- Although the biological mechanism is unknown, studies have confirmed that a side effect of Zetia is muscle pain. (2)
How Can Zetia Muscle Pain Affect Me?
For some people muscle pain can be very debilitating and disruptive
to daily life. The effects of muscle pain can limit the activities you
are normally able to do.
Muscle pain can:
- Limit the ability to perform usual activities
- Lead to depression from chronic pain
- Cause sleep disturbance
- Change position in the body
Legal Action because of Zetia Muscle Pain
In one American case a man took legal action because the muscle pain was so severe it affected his whole life. (4)
The man noticed muscle pain develop just days after
being prescribed Zetia. The pain would move from different areas in the
body and for some days he would be unable to walk or to use his arms.
His arms were so sore to touch he couldn't even change his socks. When
he stopped taking the drug the muscle pain continued and only after 1
year of steroids did he notice an improvement. (4)
This man also had a disabled wife who he cared for and
decided to take legal action and raise public awareness of the severe
side effects of Zetia.(4)
- SIMARD, C., Et al, 2006, Ezetimibie-associated myopathy in
monotherapy and in combination with a 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutamyl
co-enzyme reductase inhibitor: Can. J. Cardiol. 2006 February;
- WEFFALD, L.A & PLACH, L.A., 2007, pharmacotherapy,
2007 Feb; 27(2): 309-11 Online [Available at:
- AMERICAN JOURNAL OF CARDIOLOGY, 2008, Efficacy
and tolerability of Fluvastatin XL 80mg alone; Ezetimibie alone, and the
combination of Fluvastatin XL 80mg with Ezetimibie in patients with a
history of muscle-related side effaces with other statins: Am. J.
Cardiol., 2008 Feb; 15; 101 (4): 490-6
- TURNER, H, 2008; Zetia: Patient complains about severe
muscle pain: Online: [Available at:
Return To Dangers of Cholesterol Lowering Drugs and Alternatives
Return To All About Lowering Cholesterol Homepage